Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 Simple Pie Crust
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Heat oven to 425. Place Simple Pie Crust in pie plate, and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove, and set aside.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Preheat
- To make the filling, in a saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt, water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture.
- Return the egg yolk mixture to the sauce pan, and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until very thick.
- Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To make meringue, in a large bowl or electric mixer, whip egg whites until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over the pie.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing