- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an electric mixer, ad in baking soda and water and mix until baking soda is dissolved.
- Add in butter and brown sugar and mix until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and spices, then mix into butter mixture until combined well.
- Dollop onto baking sheet by large tablespoons.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes then transfer to racks to cool.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes, and then transfer to racks to cool completely.